Thursday, December 8, 2011

Rusty Harbold

Describe your work day.
Everyday is kind of different. I'm in charge of the 9 Hole Ladies group. Basically I set up their pairings and get them out on the course and then when they come back in I do their results. In the summer I'll give a couple of lessons. We have senior clinics and we have different groups every day.
 How long have you worked here?
I did an internship here in the summer of 2004.  I finished college and then started working here in the summer of 2005.

How did you get into golf?
I started playing at a pretty young age. My grandparents, my mom and my dad were pretty big golfers. My grandfather gave me my first set  of clubs and every now and then I would play with them for fun. I didn't get serious about it until my freshman year in high school. I was either going to play golf or football and I tried out for the golf team because I didn't really wanna play football and ended up making the golf team. Since then I started playing more seriously.

Do you have any golf victories?
I've won the Lanco Open last summer and I won the AB Thorne here last summer.

What were your previous jobs?
In high school I worked at the deli counter at Weis and then I worked in the seafood section. Those are my only two jobs outside of the golf business. In college I worked internships every summer. I worked at a club in Pittsburgh one summer at a club and at Fox Chase another summer. Then I worked here the summer after that, but I didn't work during the school year.




What did you want to be when you were
growing up?
I always wanted to be an athlete. I grew up playing sports. My dad is a big sports guy and very
competitive, my brother is too. I grew up playing basketball, baseball and golf.  I wanted to be a
baseball player when I was younger. I still play in a baseball league now, so I still enjoy it but golf seems a better career path.
  
What is your favorite place and where would you like to visit?
I've been to Colorado twice and I thought it was awesome. The area and everything out there is really cool. I’ve been to Arizona with a couple of the guys on the golf trip. I've done that for the last 4 years and they've done it even longer than I have. That's an awesome area. When we go in February it's still 60 - 70 degrees and pretty sunny. I'd like to go to Australia someday, it seems like a cool place.



Do you follow any sports teams?
I'm a big Phillies fan and a big Eagles fan. I like Philly sports, although I'm not a big hockey fan I’ll watch the playoffs for the Flyers. I went to Penn State so I'm a fan.



What is your favorite food?
Whatever they serve me here (laughs). Seafood is my favorite - crab and lobster but I like all kinds of food. I like pizza, Chinese food, lasagna, steak, chicken and fish.

What are some of your favorite TV shows?
I still watch reruns of Two and a Half Men, Seinfeld, Walking Dead, Wheel of Fortune and Modern Family.


What are your favorite movies?
Shawshank Redemption. I used to like Dumb and Dumber when I was younger, I like Will Ferrell.

What music do you listen to?
Classic rock. Pretty much all kinds of music, although maybe not country as much. I like anything that sounds good. I think my first CD was Tom Petty. I also like The Rolling Stones, CCR, and AC/DC.
   
If you could go back and give the teen age version of yourself advice, what would you tell him?
Do what you've always wanted to do. Don't have a job just for the money, do something you want to do. It will make your life more enjoyable - follow your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment