Thursday, March 3, 2011

Israel DeJesus



What was your very first job?
When I was a kid I worked in my dad’s grocery stores in New York. I worked as the cashier, stocking the shelves, everything that had to do with the store.

What place would you like to visit?
I'd like to go to China, although I have a fear of flying.

What are your hobbies or interests?
I like the martial arts. I like to do things around the house and I like spending time with my daughter, Mariana, 6 years old.

What are your favorite foods?
Seafood, rice, Italian food, Spanish food, (laughs) ALL food!

How did you get interested in cooking?
I got interested in cooking through my Grandmom, I was always in the kitchen with her. She was the best cook, so that got me interested in food. She would show me how she made things. Then when I came to the states, and started cooking in an Italian restaurant, they taught me how to make pizza. I was very young, still a
teenager.  Then I learned a lot of different dishes and I just enjoy cooking.


What was your favorite dish that your
grandmother would make?
I enjoy it all - but she had sweet rice that she would make and I always loved that. She would put coconut in it and it was delicious. It was like a dessert. She used to farm a lot, so all of the food was natural. It was straight from the ground. All different kinds of potatoes. That was a main dish that we ate a lot. When I was growing up we
didn't eat canned food, everything was from what she grew. There were a lot of us because she had 24 kids, and she raised 6 grand kids. She died at 98 years old, my grandfather died at 106.

Any favorite TV shows?
I used to watch ‘The Honeymooners’ with my dad.

What movies do you like?
When I rent a movie I like to watch action
movies, something to keep me awake. I like
movies with karate in them. I like western movies, movies with Clint Eastwood, those were the best.

What is your favorite music?
I like jazz. It helps me mellow.

What did you want to be when you were
growing up?
I wanted to grow up to be a detective. A drug busting agent.

What would you like to do one day?
I'm afraid of planes and flying but I'd love to go parachuting, just to get that fear out.

What is the best gift you've ever received?
When I get home and my daughter jumps on me and says "Hey Daddy!"

Are there any famous people, past or present that you'd like to meet?
Charles Bronson

If you could go back and give the teen age version of yourself advice – what would it be?
Stay in school and meet the goals that you really want.

No comments:

Post a Comment